Montclair Public Library presents ‘Senior center in a box’
The Montclair Public Library has implemented a new free resource for seniors: “Senior Center in a Box”. The box has specific activities and themes that seniors can do on their own or with minimal help. Boxes can be borrowed with a library card.
Over 165 kits are currently available with themes such as knitting / crochet, coloring, puzzles, birding, exercise, board games, and book-DVD combinations.
Each kit includes a complete set of materials needed for the activity. For example:
- Knitting / crochet kits contain yarn and needles, as well as instructions for making hats to give to newborns at a local hospital.
- Coloring kits contain a variety of coloring books (which should not be turned over), colored pencils, sharpeners, and crayons.
- The puzzles are available at different difficulty levels and include puzzles, crosswords, sudoku, keywords, and puzzles.
- The Bird Watching Kit contains binoculars, a field guide, and maps.
- The games include both solo and group options, such as Dominoes, Cards, Backgammon, Chess, Checkers, Boggle, and Yahtzee.
- Book-DVD combinations currently feature popular titles Little Women, The Help, Murder on the Orient Express and Hidden Figures. (Books and hidden words are available in large print.)
- The library also collaborated with the Center d’histoire de Montclair to create a kit inviting seniors to take a self-guided walking tour of Montclair.
“These kits are a great way for our seniors to have activities to do and to stay active and entertained during this pandemic when they may not feel safe going out in large groups. We are very happy to offer them and hope our users enjoy them, ”said Peter Coyl, Library Director.
Kits can be borrowed for 28 days. A maximum of three kits can be borrowed at one time. Seniors can visit montclairlibrary.org/adults/
Kits can be picked up at the main library or at the Bellevue Avenue branch upon request. Kits can also be delivered through Home Help Services, a Montclair Public Library delivery service to residents who cannot visit the library in person due to age, mobility issues, or others. reasons.