Family Day Activities Planned for Ponoka This Weekend – LacombeOnline.com
The town of Ponoka has a long list of activities happening this Family Day on February 21.
“We look forward to another wonderful Family Day celebration. We hope that Mother Nature will be on our side this year and that all families should attend an enjoyable event,” said Ponoka Mayor Kevin Ferguson.
Here’s an overview of what’s going on:
Skating, hot chocolate and bonfire downtown
Come to the Downtown Skating Plaza at 5510 – 48 Avenue where there will be all-day skating on the oval rink, with other family-friendly activities including a bonfire and hot chocolate stand from 2-4 p.m. Activities will move inside the Ponoka Arena complex if necessary due to weather.
Free swimming at the Aquaplex
The family fun of the day will also continue at the Ponoka Aquaplex with a free “All Welcome” swim from 1:30-3:30 p.m. and 4-6 p.m.
Food bank donations
To help support the Ponoka Food Bank, the Town of Ponoka will be collecting donations as a form of admission to participate in Family Day activities at the Downtown Skating Plaza and the Ponoka Aquaplex.
Family Day Awards
Families have the chance to win a 10 punch pass on this family day. To qualify, simply post a photo to Facebook, Twitter or Instagram of your family participating in a Family Day outdoor activity using the hashtag #TownofPonoka and tagging @TownofPonoka. You will automatically be entered into the draw to win a 10-shot pass to the Aquaplex.
To be entered into the draw, all photos must be posted on social media on Family Day, February 21. The Town of Ponoka will have permission to use all submitted photos to promote the Town and its facilities.
Other outdoor winter recreation opportunities
Ponoka offers many other outdoor winter recreation opportunities for families on Family Day and throughout the season, including:
- The Outdoor Rink (ODR) next to the Ponoka Arena complex where you can grab your stick and skates and play hockey;
- The skating rink at Lions Centennial Park, which is surrounded by a festive light show for skaters to enjoy. The skating rink is accessible from the North Lookout in Centennial Park. Please note that the trail is for ice skating only and hockey is not permitted.
- Cross-country skiing at Ponoka Golf Course. When skiing, citizens are asked to park at the bottom and enter the trails through the pass gate. Skiers must stay on designated trails. For more information, please contact the Ponoka Golf Course at 403-783-4626.
- Toboggan at Tom Hamilton Memorial Hill, located in the southwest corner of Froman Industrial Park, behind Siding 14 Brewery on 36th Avenue.
- Explore and stroll along the 10 kilometers of walking trails in the Ponoka River Valley.